I wrote this recipe while staying at a sweet little place in West Hollywood – the perfect spot to come up with a delicious Cali salad. To me, the perfect LA salad is nutrient dense and vibrant, and this one definitely ticks all the boxes.
It’s full of good fats for brain health (our brains are 60 percent fat, so good fats help them thrive) along with protein to keep us feeling full, strong and clear in the mind, as well as fiber and antioxidants, plus almost every vitamin and mineral. They call California the land of dreams, and this is the perfect salad to help you feel on track with any goal.
- 2 handfuls of baby salad leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ punnet (125 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup (60 g) walnuts (activated, if possible)
- 3 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled and halved
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
This is just so simple to make.
- First up, combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Then pop the salad leaves, avocado, tomatoes, walnuts and cranberries into a large bowl, pour over the dressing and give everything a good mix.
- Finally, pile the halved eggs on top and season with a little salt and pepper. Serve this up as is, or top it with a sprinkling of chili flakes if you like things hot!
I think it’s nice to set a little intention – a goal, or a dream – before you enjoy a healthy meal like this. We often do this at the start of a yoga class (it’s called a Sankalpa) and I think little things like this really help you to manifest your dreams.
Recipes and images extracted from The Yoga Body by Lola Berry, published by Plum, RRP $34.99, available in all good bookstores now.
Be the first to know when enrollment reopens for the Food Matters Nutrition Certification Program. Join the waitlist here.