Cauliflower, Cashew and Coconut Curry
This was one of the first true vegan recipes I found following my transition from vegetarian to vegan, and over time I’ve perfected it. It can be cooked in advance and frozen, which makes it perfect for our busy household.
for the spice mix:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 6 curry leaves, finely chopped
- pinch of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pink salt
- pinch of black pepper
for the curry:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small piece ginger
- 2 small red chilies, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken-style stock (I use Massel)
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup sultanas, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes until plump
- ½ cup coconut flakes, toasted
- steamed rice, dried chili flakes, and fresh coriander, to serve
- For the spice mix, combine everything in a small bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Pour olive oil into a saucepan or stovetop casserole dish, and warm on low heat. Sauté the
- onion until translucent, then add the garlic and ginger and gently cook for a few minutes.
- Add the spice mix and chilies and cook for a further minute.
- Add the coconut milk and stock, stirring well to ensure the bottom of the saucepan is not sticking. Add cauliflower florets, stir to combine, and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid, add cashews, and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add sultanas and cook for another 5 minutes or until cauliflower is soft and tender.
- Top with coconut flakes, dried chili flakes, and fresh coriander.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Notes: Leftover curry keeps in an airtight container in the fridge for 3–4 days, and can be frozen. When cauliflower is in season, it is also a great budget-friendly meal.
Recipe by Mel Brady.
This is an extract from Kindness Community Vegan Cookbook by Edgar’s Mission (Affirm Press, $35). Photography by Julie Renouf.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!