Gluten-Free Chocolate Beetroot Cake (Recipe)
Beetroot in a cake? Yes, you read that correctly. It works a treat, making these gluten-free cakes more rich and moist. This is a must-try recipe with no hidden nasties. Just Mother Nature’s finest ingredients!
Beetroots are a great source of nutrients, including vitamins B3, B6 and C and beta-carotene, magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iron. They are perfect for assisting your liver and gall bladder in breaking down toxins. And in this case, make the perfect addition to a chocolate cake.
- ¾ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup organic maple syrup
¾ cup raw cacao
- 1 medium raw beetroot, peeled and finely chopped in the food processor (approx 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3 eggs (beaten in a separate small bowl)
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 3 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Peel and quarter the beetroot and pulse in a food processor until it's finely chopped (it will resemble a sloppy beetroot dip). Then add coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao & beetroot into a saucepan on really low heat and stir for a couple of minutes until all combined and it resembles a smooth chocolate sauce.
- Mix together the almond meal, coconut palm sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl until combined. Then add the beaten eggs and chocolate/beetroot mix to the bowl and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the mix into the lined cake tin and pop in in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to cool before removing from tin.
If you don’t have a food processor, you could finely grate the beetroot instead.
We used a standard 20cm/8 inch round cake tin but you can use a 9 inch, square or even muffin tins. The mixture cooks quite well in any!
OPTIONAL CHOCOLATE ICING INGREDIENTS
- ¾ cup of organic dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- ¼ cup of organic coconut cream
- Melt chocolate in a saucepan on very low heat.
- Once it’s melted, remove from the heat and pour in coconut cream and beat until combined.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes then continue to beat until it's smooth and glossy.
Hungry for more recipes just like this one? Discover the best recipes fresh from the Food Matters Kitchen .
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!