Gluten-Free Chocolate Beetroot Cake (Recipe)
Beetroot in a cake? Yes, you read that correctly. It works a treat, making these gluten-free cakes more rich and moist. This is a must-try recipe with no hidden nasties. Just Mother Nature’s finest ingredients!
Beetroots are a great source of nutrients, including vitamins B3, B6 and C and beta-carotene, magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iron. They are perfect for assisting your liver and gall bladder in breaking down toxins. And in this case, make the perfect addition to a chocolate cake.
- ¾ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup organic maple syrup
¾ cup raw cacao
- 1 medium raw beetroot, peeled and finely chopped in the food processor (approx 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3 eggs (beaten in a separate small bowl)
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 3 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Peel and quarter the beetroot and pulse in a food processor until it's finely chopped (it will resemble a sloppy beetroot dip). Then add coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao & beetroot into a saucepan on really low heat and stir for a couple of minutes until all combined and it resembles a smooth chocolate sauce.
- Mix together the almond meal, coconut palm sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl until combined. Then add the beaten eggs and chocolate/beetroot mix to the bowl and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the mix into the lined cake tin and pop in in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to cool before removing from tin.
If you don’t have a food processor, you could finely grate the beetroot instead.
We used a standard 20cm/8 inch round cake tin but you can use a 9 inch, square or even muffin tins. The mixture cooks quite well in any!
OPTIONAL CHOCOLATE ICING INGREDIENTS
- ¾ cup of organic dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- ¼ cup of organic coconut cream
- Melt chocolate in a saucepan on very low heat.
- Once it’s melted, remove from the heat and pour in coconut cream and beat until combined.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes then continue to beat until it's smooth and glossy.