One of the best things we love about creating healthy treats is experimenting with disguising healthy ingredients, usually vegetables. This time: chickpeas!
Chickpeas are such a versatile little legume, packed with protein and fiber along with several other powerful vitamins and minerals.
You might think that the taste of these ‘Cookie Dough’ Bon Bons would be compromised by adding in legumes, but the truth is, it's not. You (or your friends, family, partner) won't even notice that they are there, and everyone loves Cookie Dough so no questions will be asked ;-)
Makes: 12 bites
(use organic where possible)
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp of almond nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 10 oz carob or dark chocolate chips
- Combine everything except the carob chips and coconut oil in a food processor.
- Process these ingredients until a smooth mixture forms.
- Add ¼ cup of your chocolate chips and pulse again just a couple of times.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add 2-3 tbsp of carob chips. Combine well.
- Pinch and roll the dough into balls slightly smaller than a ping pong ball.
- Pop in the freezer for an hour or refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Melt remaining carob chips and coconut oil over a double boiler.
- Once cookie dough balls are firm enough, remove from freezer and dip them into the melted chocolate one by one.
- Transfer the Bon Bons to a wire rack lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat until all done and let cool for a while.
- These can be stored in the fridge unless you eat them all first!