Country Chicken Sweet Potato Pie
- 1kg Chicken deboned or 600g chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, sliced
- 1 Celery, sliced
- 1 Leek, sliced
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp White wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Black pepper, ground
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Medium Sweet potato, peeled and cubed evenly
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place chicken on top sprinkle with one teaspoon of salt and drizzle with one tablespoon of oil and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven and discard skin and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Using two forks shred the meat making sure it is still chunky, set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to a medium saucepan on high heat. brown the onion and garlic before adding the carrots, celery and leek.
- Once browned add the chicken, stir for one minute before deglazing with the stock.
- Next add the white wine vinegar, pepper, thyme, rosemary bay leaf and remaining salt.
- Turn the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 30-40 minutes or until stock has reduced.
- Meanwhile in another saucepan add the sweet potato and cover with water. Bring to a boil on high heat, before turning to medium heat and allowing to cook for a further 6-8 minutes or until a knife pierces flesh easily.
- Drain sweet potato and allow to dry out for two minutes before putting in a blender with the almond milk and processing till smooth. Remove and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium/high.
- Spoon the chicken mix into an ovenproof dish. Spoon the sweet potato mix on top and spread around evenly to get it smooth. Place under the grill for 5 minutes or until the top changes colour.
Support your body’s natural immunity and innate wellbeing with our must-have Vitamin C.