Crazy Like a Coconut Macaroons
Not only will these cookies make your house smell fab, but you’ll also be mistaken for a domestic superstar, even though they only contain four everyday ingredients. Kids will love helping you make these treats, as they couldn’t be easier. Plus they’re loaded with fibre and naturally nut- and gluten-free, making them a winner at the school bake sale.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups (130 g) shredded coconut
- ²⁄3 cup (100 g) chocolate chips
A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350˚F). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl. Add the coconut, chocolate chips and salt and mix well. Scoop out about 1 heaped tablespoon of mixture per macaroon onto the baking tray. Press down lightly with a fork to flatten.
Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Play around with the recipe and try adding natural vanilla extract, cacao powder or cinnamon.
- You can also make this recipe into a coconut slice by spreading the mixture firmly onto a baking tray and cutting it into squares once it has cooled.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week (if they last that long).
Use vegan-friendly chocolate chips if you are catering for vegans.
Images and recipes from Nude Nutritionist by Lyndi Cohen, Murdoch Books, RRP $35.00 Photography: Cath Muscat, Leah Stanistreet & Luca Prodigo.