Creamy Ayurvedic Butternut Soup
Here is a beautiful, smooth, warming soup for those chilly winter days. We hope you will enjoy it!
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 butternut squash, cubed into squares (yields about 3 cups cooked)
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-inch piece of ginger, grated
- Salt & pepper to season
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
Toppers: Serve with your favorite soup toppers! Here are some of our suggestions for this combination: cilantro, lime, or toasted gluten-free bread .
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Coat butternut squash in 3 tbsp coconut oil and roast for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and soft.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add curry powder and dry toast for 1 minute.
- Add 1 tbsp coconut oil, then add onions, ginger and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked butternut squash, turmeric, peanut butter, stock, and coconut milk to the saucepan, stir well and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow soup to slightly cool, then blend (in blender or food processor) in batches until you have a smooth purée. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.