Detox Your Bathroom Cupboard With These 3 Natural Skincare Recipes
Your skin is your largest organ and deserves extra TLC! One of the things we’ve learned along the way in our years of being in the natural health profession is that what you put in your body matters, but so does what you put on your body.
The skin is your largest organ and absorbs 60% of what you put on it. Think about this for a second… According to the Environmental Working Group, the average woman uses 12 “beauty” products per day, containing about 168 ingredients. That’s a lot of ingredients you’re putting into your body, and if we're not careful, many of those could be toxic!
The beauty industry promotes all types of lotions and potions that promise to make you look 10 years younger, hide imperfections, and soften your skin - but at what cost?
Here are 3 of our favorite DIY recipes from our Food Matters Beauty Bible.
OCEAN BODY SCRUB
Sea salt is rich in minerals and great for getting rid of dead skin cells. Coconut oil is conditioning for skin. Avocado oil is nutritious for skin; hydrating and conditioning
- ½ cup sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Optional: different essential oils (lime for invigorating, lavender for calming)
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container (jars are perfect).
- Jump in the shower to wet your body, then use about 1 tbsp of the mixture scrubbing into all areas of the body (avoiding sensitive areas).
- Jump back under the water and rinse well.
WAKE-ME-UP COFFEE SCRUB
This is the ideal scrub to start your day feeling fresh, invigorated and energized! Simply save your leftover coffee grounds - or recycle used grounds from the office if you don’t drink coffee - and with a few other pantry staples, you have a body scrub that smells so good you could drink it.
- ½ cup coffee grounds (used is fine)
- ⅓ cup ground sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ⅓ cup sugar (castor is fine, or else use coarse brown or rapadura)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- Optional: 3 drops of high-grade peppermint oil
- Make sure your coconut oil is melted, then mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Transfer your mixture to a waterproof, sealed jar or container. Simply scrub over your body (avoiding sensitive skin regions and face) before rinsing with warm water. Rinse off any excess oil with some mild, organic castile soap if desired.
Note: Don’t dip wet hands into the container - it will make the mixture spoil prematurely. Instead, try to pour the mixture onto your hands, or use a dry spoon to scoop out.
AMAZING CLEANSING MASK
Sure your greens will help you glow from the inside out, but they also make the perfect addition to this amazing, cleansing face mask!
- 1 tsp Food Matters Recommended Greens or Greens Powders, Spirulina, Wheatgrass Powder, etc.
- 2 tsp natural yogurt
- 1 tsp of white clay
- Mix all ingredients together well in a small bowl to form a paste. Apply on a clean, damp face, neck and decolletage. When almost dry (do not leave to dry out on the face as this can cause an imbalance in the skin), remove with a damp cloth.
Have you been searching for a proven way to look and feel naturally radiant everyday? Maybe you’ve been told by the beauty industry the secret to true beauty lies in some new pill or cream? Well the truth is, our skin, hair, and body craves something completely different. The Beauty Bible is your ultimate guide to looking and feeling like a natural goddess, every day!
Your skin is your largest organ, so make sure you’re treating it right. Discover our favorite non-negotiable beauty products.