Fresh Sides: The Traditional Potato Salad Has Had A Make-Over
We're kicking off a new series of Fresh Sides where we are taking the classic go-to sides and giving them a Food Matters Kitchen Make-Over!
First up: the traditional creamy potato salad! Now, to clear things up, there is nothing wrong with the humble potato. Often feared as 'bad carbs', the potato has unjustly earned a bad reputation. Potatoes are a great source of fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6.
So we've bulked up the traditional potato salad to add a whole bunch of nutrients in there and created our own dressing to ditch the 30 something found in the store-bought version. We've done this by creating our own mayo (easier than you think) but for those not including organic animal products, we've also created a version for you!
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 400g can of organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 100g green beans, topped, tailed, sliced in halves
- Handful of fresh parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/4 cup homemade mayonnaise , or organic whole-egg mayo