Garden Vegetable Tagine (Recipe)
A traditional Moroccan vegetarian dish served with sweet potatoes, eggplant, and garden vegetables. Spiced with mina harissa. Gluten-free and vegan.
Perfect to serve with tempeh, beans, hemp seeds, chickpeas, eggs, wild caught fish, etc. I love serving this dish on top of a bed of fluffy quinoa, rice (jasmine, basmati, or wild rice), millet, or even plain on top of dark leafy greens like spinach.
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, chopped
- ½ cup cauliflower, chopped
- ½ cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup of organic vegetable stock
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or minced
- 3 heaping tablespoons of red mina harissa
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ras el hanout
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- additional fresh mint and parsley to garnish
- Put the olive oil in the tagine and sauté the chopped onion for about 2 mins, followed by adding in garlic.
- Add all the remaining chopped vegetables, spices, harissa and other ingredients.
- Cover with the lid and cook over low heat for 40 mins, stirring occasionally. The end result will be a thick, hearty vegetable dish.
- If you're using a skillet/deep dish skillet, use the same process and cover with a lid.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or plain with an added protein before enjoying.
- Garnish with fresh mint and parsley.
- Keeps well in the fridge for leftovers, simply reheat in the oven.
Do you have a passion for nutrition & natural healing?. Learn more about the Food Matters Nutrition Certification Program here.