Gluten-Free Blood Orange Tea Cakes
Blood oranges... a gruesome name for something so wonderfully sweet and beautiful! The drama of these exotic looking fruits take any simple dish, like these simple tea cakes, to a whole other level!
- 1 blood orange, sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 3 cups almond meal
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla powder
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 organic eggs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Grease a 6 hole muffin pan and place a slice of blood orange in each.
- Sprinkle with half a tsp of coconut sugar and almond flakes in each hole.
- Bake for 10 minutes to caramelize blood oranges. Remove from oven.
- Combine almond meal + baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, lemon juice + zest, coconut sugar, vanilla, coconut oil and coconut cream.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into prepared muffins pan on top of blood oranges.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Allow to cool in pan and turn out. Serve upside down.
Some health foods are non-negotiable. You can shop the Food Matters’ pantry staples here.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!