Blood oranges... a gruesome name for something so wonderfully sweet and beautiful! The drama of these exotic looking fruits take any simple dish, like these simple tea cakes, to a whole other level!
- 1 blood orange, sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 3 cups almond meal
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla powder
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 organic eggs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Grease a 6 hole muffin pan and place a slice of blood orange in each.
- Sprinkle with half a tsp of coconut sugar and almond flakes in each hole.
- Bake for 10 minutes to caramelize blood oranges. Remove from oven.
- Combine almond meal + baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, lemon juice + zest, coconut sugar, vanilla, coconut oil and coconut cream.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into prepared muffins pan on top of blood oranges.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Allow to cool in pan and turn out. Serve upside down.