Gluten-Free Cauliflower Bhaji
We’ve done our usual Food Matters Kitchen spin on a classic dish, swapping for a gluten-free version, slightly shallow fried in coconut oil
Try this one as a spicy, nourishing snack or with a beautiful green salad or fresh steamed vegetables.
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 medium-sized head cauliflower, divided into tiny florets
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chili, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 egg, whisked
- Water, to mix
- Coconut oil for shallow frying
- Combine all ingredients aside from the lemon juice and egg in a bowl. Mmake a well in the center and pour in the lemon, egg and enough cold water to make a thick batter.
- Pour coconut oil to a depth of 1-2 cm in a deep sided frying pan and heat until a small drop of batter immediately sizzles and quickly colors. Drop large spoonfuls of mixture into the oil and cook in batches, turning as required until golden and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with a little sea salt and serve hot with your favorite chutney.
Hungry for more recipes just like this one? Discover the best recipes fresh from the Food Matters Kitchen .