Gluten-Free Corn Fritters With Kale, Apple & Coconut Slaw
Corn fritters are dime-a-dozen. For a good reason! They are super simple, versatile (breakfast for dinner anyone?), they are colorful, vegetarian, free from gluten and super filling when paired with a beautiful salad.
To stay a little different from the rest, because we like to mix things up, we've added some extra veg along with lemongrass and fresh chili for a Thai-inspired taste bud tantalizer!
Makes 8-10 Fritters & the salad will feed 4
- 1 cup corn kernels (1 cooked sweet corn, kernels removed)
- 1 zucchini grated
- ½ cup almond meal or another GF flour (brown rice or quinoa flour works well)
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 long red chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped or 1 tsp lemongrass paste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- coconut oil for cooking
- In a bowl combine the flour, corn, zucchini, ginger, chili, lemongrass, baking powder, coconut milk, egg, and cilantro. Mix well.
- Heat a frypan to high heat and add a little coconut oil. Using a spoon, scoop about ¼ cup of the mixture for 1 fritter into the frypan, apply a little pressure with the back of the spatula to flatten the fritter. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove and set aside on a plate, repeating until all fritters are cooked.
KALE, APPLE & COCONUT SLAW
- 1 cup kale, finely shredded
- 1 green apple, finely sliced
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together dressing ingredients and pour over the slaw. Mix well to coat.
- Serve alongside your fritters with a fresh squeeze of lime.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!