Gluten-Free Corn Fritters With Kale, Apple & Coconut Slaw
Corn fritters are dime-a-dozen. For a good reason! They are super simple, versatile (breakfast for dinner anyone?), they are colorful, vegetarian, free from gluten and super filling when paired with a beautiful salad.
To stay a little different from the rest, because we like to mix things up, we've added some extra veg along with lemongrass and fresh chili for a Thai-inspired taste bud tantalizer!
Makes 8-10 Fritters & the salad will feed 4
- 1 cup corn kernels (1 cooked sweet corn, kernels removed)
- 1 zucchini grated
- ½ cup almond meal or another GF flour (brown rice or quinoa flour works well)
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 long red chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped or 1 tsp lemongrass paste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- coconut oil for cooking
- In a bowl combine the flour, corn, zucchini, ginger, chili, lemongrass, baking powder, coconut milk, egg, and cilantro. Mix well.
- Heat a frypan to high heat and add a little coconut oil. Using a spoon, scoop about ¼ cup of the mixture for 1 fritter into the frypan, apply a little pressure with the back of the spatula to flatten the fritter. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove and set aside on a plate, repeating until all fritters are cooked.
KALE, APPLE & COCONUT SLAW
- 1 cup kale, finely shredded
- 1 green apple, finely sliced
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together dressing ingredients and pour over the slaw. Mix well to coat.
- Serve alongside your fritters with a fresh squeeze of lime.