Healthy Mac & Cheese (Recipe)
You don't have to miss out on your old favorites when eating healthy. We've made some simple swaps to revamp this comforting dish while making it vegan-friendly!
Topped with a crispy herby topping, this vegan mac and cheese will hit the spot!
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried herbs
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly steam cauliflower for 4-5 minutes, in boiling water or vegetable steamer.
- In a small pan over medium heat, saute onion and crushed garlic until soft and golden.
- To make the sauce, place cashews, spices nutritional yeast, arrowroot and vegetable broth into the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer lightly steamed cauliflower, onion, garlic and sauce into a large bowl and mix well until the cauliflower is fully coated in sauce.
- Spread evenly in a baking dish.
- Mix together the crumble ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the cauliflower.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until crumble is nice and brown.