Kefir is a probiotic-rich beverage that doubles as a starter culture for fruits, vegetables, juices, dips, condiments and many other foods.
Why It's Good For You:
Kefir is one of the easiest ways to get probiotic nutrition into your daily life and is a refreshing pick-me-up at any time of the day or night.
(use organic where possible)
- 2 L coconut water
- 1 cup kefir starter culture
- Place coconut water & kefir starter in a glass jar, stirring with a wooden spoon. Be sure to leave some space between the liquid and the top of the jar in case the liquid fizzes and expands during the ferment.
- Secure the lid, leave on the bench to ferment for 24-48 hours, tasting after 24 hours.
- You may use a starter culture of choice. You can purchase starter cultures from health food stores or online.
- The kefir should be tangy with no detectable coconut sweetness. In warmer weather it will ferment in 24 hours and for cooler climates, 48 hours is needed for all the sugar to be eaten up by the beneficial bacteria.