Fall to me means vibrant colors, cooler temperatures but heartwarming foods. For me, that’s soup! I declare fall the start of soup season despite the fact that soup is something I love all year round. When your eating with the seasons it is important to incorporate a variety of root vegetables into your daily meals. I decided to take it a step further and make a root vegetable soup that would be hearty and in abundance of health benefits that root vegetables offer.
Root vegetables are so special because being below ground they absorb nutrients from the soil making them a powerhouse for anti-inflammatory vitamins such as A, B, C, and iron. Plus they are chock full of antioxidants. Being the gut-health guru I am, I have to put in my plug that they nourish our gut with gut-friendly fiber our good bacteria need to survive. Let’s face it, they aren’t the prettiest of vegetables, but they do clean up very well, so get scrubbing and prep for this beautiful, flavorful root vegetable soup that will keep you fueled and armed for a healthy winter.
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1⁄2 large celeriac (celery root) peeled and chopped 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. Minced fresh parsley
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup kettle over medium heat. Toss in onion and saute until onion is translucent in appearance (approx. 3min.) Then add in the garlic and saute for approx. one minute.
- Toss in the rest of the root vegetables and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Next add broth, parsley, bay leaves.
- Simmer for approx 30 min.
- Toss in spinach and simmer until vegetables are tender (15-30min.).
- For thinner soup: add broth to desired consistency
- For thicker soup: take an immersion blender to the pot when finished and give it a few pulses and Wallah!
- Enjoy the colorful blend of root vegetables that bring warmth and comfort to your table, and gut-healing nutrients, minerals, and vitamins to nourish from within.