A refreshing and healthy salad made substantial by the addition of chickpeas. It is also suitable as a side dish, or enjoy on its own with barbecued slices of paneer or haloumi.
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded mint leaves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 150 g kale, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp preserved lemon rind, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt, to taste
- 180 g cooked chickpeas, lightly crushed with the back of a fork
Whisk together the oil, crushed spices, garlic, mint, red chili flakes, if using, lemon juice and salt to taste.
Place the chickpeas and kale together in a large bowl.
Pour over the dressing and scatter with the preserved lemon.
Recipes and images from Indian Made Easy by Amandip Uppal (Murdoch Books) $39.99 available now in all good bookstores and online.