Lemony Millet Salad With Chickpeas, Corn & Spinach (Recipe)
Don’t you love those dinners when you have extra for lunch or even another dinner that week? Fresh. This recipe is exactly that. Simple. Leftover-friendly. Nourishing.
If you're new to millet it's a definite must try. It's a bit thicker + chewier than quinoa with a less earthy flavor.
LEMONY MILLET SALAD WITH CHICKPEAS, CORN & SPINACH
Gluten-free, vegan // yields 3-4 meal-sized servings
- 3 cups cooked millet
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 7-8 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt + pepper
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- zest from 1/2 of a lemon
- toppings: fresh thyme, oregano, avocado, pepitas, hot sauce, etc.
- Pour 1 tablespoon safflower oil [or other cooking oil] into a large pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the corn and cook for another 7-10 minutes until the beans + corn are starting to turn golden brown.
- Add in the cumin, garlic, and a big pinch of salt + pepper.
- Stir for about 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant then stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted [about 2 minutes].
- Remove from heat and toss with 3 cups of millet, then refrigerate uncovered until fully chilled. Stir the mixture while chilling to speed up the process.
- Combine the olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a jar and shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over the chilled millet mixture and toss to coat. I used nearly all of it. Or, leave undressed and portion out dressing to package up and take to work with you if desired.
- Taste and adjust salt + pepper and add more lemon juice if desired.
- Finish each serving with a sprinkling of fresh herbs + avocado.
- Or, place in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to eat. Keeps for about 2 days after dressing.
Notes/subs: Feel free to serve this hot if desired: After step 6, toss with the dressing and serve with fresh herbs + avocado. I prefer this meal chilled. If you don't have millet on hand quinoa would work perfectly. [A non-gluten-free alternative would be couscous.]
What's Your Favorite 'Left-Over Friendly' Recipe?
Take the stress out of cooking with 21-days of guided meal plans, shopping lists, and nutrition support. You’ll find all of this, and more, in our signature Clean Eating Program.