Mashed Root Vegetables And Silverbeet
Vegetables like turnips and parsnips conjure up memories of the aromas pouring out of Grandma's kitchen around the holidays. Their unique headiness and slight bit of spice is mellowed out with some sweet potato here, and also has the added bit of silverbeet ribboned throughout!
What’s old is new again, including this old family favorite! Sprinkle with a handful of organic parmesan, feta or nutritional yeast to deepen the creamy texture of this hearty root vegetable side dish!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 parsnips
- 2 medium turnips
- 3 stalks of silverbeet or Swiss chard
- ¼ cup of shaved parmesan (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Pinch of grated nutmeg and cumin
- Peel all veggies and put in pot. Cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer.
- In the meantime, shred the parmesan, grate in the nutmeg, add a pinch of cumin, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- When the veggies are just about cooked through, (when you can pierce them with a knife and have it just about come out clean) add the shredded silverbeet or other leafy green of your choice and put the lid back on for a couple more minutes.
- Strain the vegetables, replace in the pot, add the parmesan mixture and mash. It may need a splash more oil, and don’t forget to season with salt and pepper, to taste.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!