Mediterranean Quinoa Pilaf
A vegan quinoa pilaf inspired by the flavours of the Mediterranean – olive oil, sundried tomatoes, red peppers, Kalamata olives and fresh basil. Quinoa provides all of the essential amino acids, and is a good source of fiber, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, folate and zinc. Olive oil contains a heart-healthy, monounsaturated fat which will help with the absorption of lycopene from the sundried tomatoes.
- 1 cup quinoa (white)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free pesto
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- ½ cup roasted red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, small dice
- ¼ cup fresh basil, shredded (chiffonade)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse quinoa in water using a fine-meshed strainer.
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and onions, and sweat for a couple of minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add pesto and quinoa. Stir mixture to coat the quinoa.
- Add vegetable broth and salt. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low) and cook quinoa for 20 minutes (or until liquid is absorbed). Remove saucepan from heat and allow contents to sit covered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place quinoa pilaf in a bowl along with roasted red pepper, olives, sundried tomatoes, fresh basil and freshly ground pepper to taste. Gently stir to combine. Adjust seasoning if required.
TO ROAST RED PEPPER
- Place whole peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in a 450°F oven for 30 – 40 minutes, until blistered and charred, turning them twice during roasting.
- Place peppers in a paper bag and allow to cool for 30 minutes before handling.
- Remove stem and discard. Cut peppers into quarters, remove seeds and white membrane.
- Refrigerate roasted red peppers in a covered glass bowl until ready to use.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!