Nourishing Breakfast Bowl
This is the king of breakfast bowls, and you’ll feel like royalty sitting down to this collection of vibrant ingredients first thing in the morning. Loaded with greens, wholesome brown rice, gorgeous orange sweet potato, satiating eggs and a super-tasty tahini-based dressing, this is a great recipe for preparing food mindfully and honouring yourself.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced thinly lengthways
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, plus extra as needed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heaped tablespoons blanched almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 250 g (9 oz/2 cups) sliced green beans
- 450 g (1 lb/1 bunch) kale, stems and spines removed, roughly chopped
- Handful of baby English spinach leaves
- 2 eggs
- 370 g (13 oz/2 cups) hot cooked brown rice
- ½ cucumber, spiralised into noodles
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 sheets nori, torn, or handful dried nori strips
- Toasted sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup) filtered water
- ¼ cup) lemon juice
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- few drops liquid stevia or your sweetener of choice
- 1 ½ teaspoon wheat-free tamari or coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a jar, seal tightly and shake until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F)
- Place the sweet potato in a roasting tin, drizzle over half the coconut oil and bake for 10–15 minutes, until cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan over medium heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté the garlic and spring onions for 1–2 minutes. Add the beans and kale, and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes, until cooked through. Add the spinach and cook for 1–2 minutes, until wilted. Move the greens to one side of the pan and fry the eggs to your liking, adding a little more oil if needed.
- In two wide shallow bowls, arrange the brown rice, spiralized cucumber, cooked greens and avocado, then top with the almonds, sweet potato, nori and a fried egg. Drizzle the dressing over and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using, and pepper.
Images and recipes from Supercharge your Life by Lee Holmes, Murdoch Books, RRP $35.00 Photography by Luisa Brimble.
Bust common myths and find out everything you truly need to know for health and wellbeing in our free nutrition masterclass.