Parsnip Spaghetti with Sunflower Bolognese
I absolutely love this recipe! I really enjoy the al dente mouthfeel from the parsnips, but feel free to swap them out and use any other of your favorite spiralized vegetables such as zucchini noodles or sweet potato noodles.
Sunflower seeds are rich in B vitamins, which are essential for a healthy nervous system, and are a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, protein and vitamin E.
They also contain zinc, manganese, copper, chromium, and carotene as well as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids – types of ‘good’ fat that may help to protect the arteries.
- 3–4 parsnips, peeled
- 500 g (4 cups) cauliflower florets
- 60 g (1⁄2 cup) sunflower seeds
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 170 g can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Plant Parmesan, to serve
- 1 handful of basil leaves, to serve
- Using a mandoline, spiraliser or sharp knife, cut the parsnips into fine vegetable noodles. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the cauliflower, sunflower seeds, garlic, onion, and mixed herbs to form a rough, chunky paste.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add the cauliflower mixture and saute for 8–10 minutes, or until softened and lightly golden brown. Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lovely and thick.
Meanwhile, cook the parsnip noodles in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 3–4 minutes, or until just tender, then drain and divide among bowls. To serve, spoon the bolognese over the noodles, season well with salt and pepper and scatter over the plant parmesan and a few basil leaves to finish. Enjoy.
Hungry for more recipes just like this one? Discover the best recipes fresh from the Food Matters Kitchen.