Pea Soup For The Soul (Recipe)
Peas really are the bee's knees. Their juice is highly beneficial for people with gluten intolerance, as it repairs the membranes in the small intestine that can precent fats being absorbed. Peas are also rich in protein, fibre, iron and vitamins A, C and B1 (thiamine), which is essential for energy production, nerve function and carbohydrate metabolism. The water-soluble fibre in peas bind with cholesterol and help excrete the baddies from the body, promoting intestinal health.
For this recipe, the sweetness of the soup comes from pre-roasting the garlic bulb in the oven. Simmering the soup on the stove increases the flavour ten-fold; if you're not pushed for time, let it simmer for 15 minutes before blending.
- 1 garlic bulb (corm)
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb 2 oz fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Handful of parsley leaves, plus extra to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb, place on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion and thyme for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, peas, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the parsley and simmer gently, partially covered, for 5-10 minutes. (Cook for longer if you would like a stronger flavour).
- Remove from the heat and place in a blender.
- Remove the garlic from the oven and squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins. Add to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve sprinkled with the extra parsley leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!