Peppermint Patties (Recipe)
These would have to be a childhood favorite! To ensure you avoid a sugar binge, keep these stocked in the freezer and they will really hit the spot.
The creamy centre is flavored with peppermint oil which makes for the perfect after dinner snack as it aids and soothes digestion.
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked for 4 hours, drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2-3 drops peppermint oil
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- dark chocolate, melted bain-marie style
- In a high-speed food process combine all ingredients except the coconut butter & melted chocolate. Blend until smooth. Add the melted coconut butter, blending on high for a further 1 minute. Set in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove form the freezer, roll between two pieces of parchment paper until a thickness of 1 cm.
- We used a cookie cutter to het the desired shape but if this is not available to you, you can just roll them into a ball.
- Dip in melted dark chocolate. Store in the freezer. Allow 10 minutes to defrost and enjoy.
A few notes on coconut butter:
Easily confused for coconut oil, coconut butter is made from the whole flesh of a coconut (rather than the oil) It is available in most health food stores but it is also very easy (and cheap) to make your own if you own a food processor.
How to make coconut butter at home:
All you need is a bag of natural, shredded coconut. Add it to you high speed blender or food processor, for 5-10 minutes, scrapping down the sides a few times. When ready, the texture will be even, smooth and buttery.
Can you substitute for coconut oil?
For this recipe, yes but you won’t receive the same texture. Coconut butter is sweeter than coconut oil, and will give you a richer filling, however, the only major difference you need to consider is that recipe made with coconut oil will set harder than those made with coconut butter. If you use coconut oil in these patties, allow 20 minutes to defrost before eating.
Are you looking for the ultimate crash course in nutrition? Discover the free online masterclass and tune in today.