Over your usual breakfast combination? Try mixing it up this week with this mouth-watering Pumpkin Chia Seed Pudding recipe!
- ¾ cup (185 g) pumpkin purée*
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream**
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 pinches of cayenne pepper
- 6 drops of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 handfuls of chia seeds
- 6 Tbsp coconut cream**
- 4 Tbsp rice syrup
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 30 drops of vanilla extract
- Make the chia layer by mixing the pumpkin purée, coconut cream, orange juice, grated ginger, cayenne and vanilla in a food processor. Let the motor run while you slowly add the olive oil until you have a smooth liquid. Pour into a bowl and add the chia seeds. Stir the seeds carefully into the liquid with a spoon or spatula so that they are fully covered and do not stick together. Spoon the pudding into 2 glasses or bowls and set aside for at least an hour or overnight.
- Make the matcha layer by whisking the coconut cream, rice syrup, matcha powder, and vanilla in a bowl to make a beautiful creamy mixture. Pour over the pumpkin-chia layer, then leave in the freezer for 30 minutes to make firmer. Don’t have the time? Skip this stage and serve the pudding immediately.
- For a completely raw version, use pumpkin juice, raw coconut cream, a vanilla bean, and a natural liquid sweetener.
- You can buy pumpkin purée or make it yourself by baking the chopped pumpkin for 30–40 minutes in a 190°C (375°F) oven and then mashing.
- I use the solid parts of a BPA-free tin of coconut milk.
Images and Text from Vegan by Kyra de Vreeze, Murdoch Books RRP ‘$24.99