Sometimes a little seasonal stereotype just tastes so right. These pumpkin spiced vegan truffles from cookbook author and clean cooking guru, Pamela Salzman, are the ultimate snack. They’re packed with protein, healthy fats and all the pumpkin spice you secretly desire without the refined sugar that’s usually in tow.
If we’re going to dabble in ‘basic’ territory, you bet it’s going to be with something uber-clean and crazy-delicious. Whip these up this weekend; you won’t be disappointed.
Pumpkin Spiced Coconut & Cashew Vegan Truffles
Makes 22 truffles
- 1/2 cup raw cashew butter or raw almond butter (the smoother, the better)
- 6 pitted dates
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 2 tbsp coconut butter or unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
For the chocolate coating:
- 1/2 cup good quality chocolate chips, preferably dark, but whatever you prefer
- 1/2 tbsp unrefined virgin coconut oil or unsalted butter
- Graham cracker crumbs or pumpkin seeds for garnish, optional
*To make your own pumpkin spice:
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves or allspice
- Place the cashew butter, dates, vanilla, pumpkin, coconut butter (or oil), coconut flour and salt in a food processor and blend until everything comes together in a thick paste.
- Place the truffle mixture into a container and refrigerate or freeze until firmer.
- Line a small baking sheet or plate with parchment or wax paper.
- Scoop small amounts of the truffle mixture and roll into little balls. I like to use a melon baller for this.
- Place back into the refrigerator or freezer while you make the chocolate coating.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together and whisk to combine.
- Remove the truffles from the fridge. One at a time, place a truffle ball on the tines of a fork over the bowl of melted chocolate and spoon chocolate over the ball until completely coated. Allow excess to drip back into bowl.
- Return to baking sheet/plate and repeat with all the balls.
- Repeat for a double layer of chocolate or drizzle more on for a decorative finish. Before chocolate sets, sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs or pumpkin seeds, if desired. Refrigerate until firm and store in refrigerator.