The only thing sweeter than a delicious dessert is knowing that it’s loaded with ingredients that are great for you — and nothing that isn’t. This protein and healthy-fat loaded cookie recipe from Rawsome Superfoods is the ultimate way to satisfy a sweet tooth, without too much sweetness. Bake them up for a clean way to feed your cravings, or snack on them raw…
I ADORE almond butter and coconut, and these are the ingredients that shine here, plus you get all the added nutrition of hemp and flax seeds (omega 3’s, fiber, magnesium and more). They are best enjoyed with extra almond butter, vanilla coconut ice cream or chia berry jam. These are perfect for a filling breakfast, midday snack or satisfying dessert if you don’t need much sweetness.
- ¼ cup coconut or almond flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup of coconut milk
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅛ tsp stevia powder
- Maple syrup, to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Mix together all the dry ingredients, and then stir in the rest, adding the chocolate last. You should have a moist, thick dough that holds its shape. Shape the dough into cookies or balls (I use a big ice-cream scoop, then my hands) and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for nine to twelve minutes (nine minutes will leave them softer, twelve minutes means crunchier, crumblier cookies). Let them cool for five minutes and enjoy. These will keep in the fridge for two to three days.
- Alternatively, if you wanna keep these raw, don’t bake them. Leave them in the fridge for two hours instead. Equally delicious — in fact, maybe more so.
Reprinted with permission from Rawsome Superfoods by Emily von Euw, Page Street Publishing Co. 2018 & Chalkboard Mag. Photo credit: Emily von Euw.