Quick and Easy Spicy Peanut Noodles
This sweet, spicy, and nutty recipe is like Chinese take-out that you can make right at home. So, dig in today and save some for lunch tomorrow, homie.
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti or gluten-free soba noodles!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch thick strips or 2 savory blocks of organic tofu, cubed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger root
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Heaping 1/4 cup creamy organic peanut butter or sun-nut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps or 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and salt and cook until al dente or about 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water and then drain the pasta in a colander. Rinse the pasta under cold running water for a minute or 2 to chill the noodles. Give them a few shakes to remove the excess water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the chicken or tofu and cook, stirring often, until golden-brown on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, stirring often, for about 1 minute. Stir in the peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, pepper flakes, and reserved cooking water and cook until it becomes creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken and the drained noodles and serve sprinkled with the scallions.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!