Raw, Vegan, Apple Crumble Pie
This dessert is insanely delicious, fresh, fast and easy to make, and requires no baking. Instead of refined sugars, it uses dates for sweetness and a little bit of pure maple syrup (or any other sweetener you like), along with cinnamon for that extra zing. This is a wonderful way to finish off a warm summer night.
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup dates (soaked)
- 2 apples, diced
- 5 dates, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 dates, chopped
To Make The Crust
- Line a 6 - 8" pie plate with parchment paper.
- Add the sunflower seeds, walnuts and coconut flakes into your food processor and process them until they break down into crumbs.
- Then add your dates (previously soaked and drained) and process them into the crumbs. Add a splash of water only if the mixture is dry. It should stick together easily, but shouldn’t be wet.
- Transfer the crust mixture to your prepared plate and press it in firmly.
- Put in freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to harden.
To Make The Crumble Topping
- Blend the walnuts and dates in a food processor to make crumbly nuggets. Spoon into a small bowl and set aside.
For The Applesauce Filling
- Blend all of the sauce ingredients in the food processor until smooth. The lemon juice is optional, depending on how sweet your apples are and whether you prefer a tangy taste.
- Pour the filling into the crust, add the crumble topping, and cover it with plastic wrap or foil and allow it to set for at least 8 hours in the freezer.
- Remove it from freezer about 15-20 minutes before serving.
Get access to the entire Food Matters Film Library. Start watching here.