SPOOKY CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
The only thing scary about these gluten-free treats is how scary good they are! A chocolate cupcake that tastes as rich as a brownie and an airy, whipped coconut cream icing; these are sure to be a hit with your family this Halloween!
- 2/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 150 ml organic maple syrup
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chickpea flour + 1 tbsp
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1½ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ oz organic dark chocolate, melted
- 1 ripe banana
- 200 mL unsweetened almond milk
- Handful of cacao nibs or carob buttons (for garnish)
- 1 can of coconut cream, chilled in the fridge for 24hrs
- ¼ cup organic pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1 x 12 hole cupcake tin
- 3 mixing bowls
- Electric mixer or med whisk
- Small saucepan
- Piping bag with large round end
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line the cupcake tins with 12 liners.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup together. Set aside.
- Combine the chickpea and almond flour, cocoa and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Mash the banana and add to the milk.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix in the coconut oil mixture. Once just combined, slowly add in the milk and banana mix until just comes together and finally, drizzle in the melted chocolate.
- Divide equally into the cupcake tins and bake for 20 – 25 min or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from oven and let the cupcakes cool for a couple minutes in the tin before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Remove the can of coconut cream from the fridge and open. Gently remove the hardened, creamy top and save the liquid half for another use, such as in a smoothie.
- With an electric mixer or some good old fashioned elbow grease, whip the cream until it starts to bulk up and become fluffy. Drizzle in the maple syrup and vanilla, and adjust to the sweetness you prefer.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, fill your piping bag with your biggest cylindrical piping tip and starting from the outside of the cupcake, pipe inwards and upwards to form little ‘ ghostly’ peaks. Garnish with fake spiders, or any creepy-crawly of your choice just like we have! Alternatively, turn them into ghosts by adding cocoa nibs as eyes and a mouth to finish off your mini phantoms.
Pantry shelves need topping up with all the good stuff? Shop our staples here.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!