Sticky Date Pudding With Caramel Sauce
t’s sweet. It’s sticky. It’s possibly Grandpa’s favorite dessert. And it’s served warm. Any guesses? This classic staple and favorite dessert, believe it or not, CAN be made with better choices of ingredients to be considered a healthier version!
We can add better fiber, different types and quantities of sugars, as well as bonus nutrition to help you from needing to go back for another slice. Although we wouldn’t recommend you eat it all the time, your body will most likely appreciate this version over any ‘traditional’ one, and you can eat much more happily - with less guilt for indulging as a result.
(use organic where possible)
- 2 cups dates, dried or medjool, pitted
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/3 cup sweet potato, raw
- 1/3 cup coconut syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil (or other neutral taste)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or powder
- 1 cup coconut flour (or almond meal)
- 1 cup coconut, desiccated
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal
- 2 tsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, optional, not required
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- 7 tbsp coconut cream
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lucuma powder
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak the dates in the 1 cup of hot water for approx. 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare a baking dish for the pudding; approximately 20 cm diameter round or 18 cm square.
- In a food processor, add the sweet potato, syrup, oil, vinegar, vanilla, soaked dates AND the soaking water.
- Blitz until as smooth and creamy as possible. Some texture is still ok.
- If using eggs, add them in now and blitz until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures, mixing well and transfer immediately into the baking dish.
- The texture of the batter will be quite thick and it will need smoothing out to a level surface in the baking dish. Try to make sure the middle is not mounded.
- Pour the 4 tablespoons of coconut cream over the surface.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes undisturbed. The texture will be soft and feel a touch undercooked while still fresh out of the oven. If you desire it to be a proper cake texture, allow it to fully cool before slicing. It may be re-warmed before serving.
- To make the sauce: combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Allow to come nearly to a boil before removing from the heat.
- Serve the cake with the heated sauce drizzled over each served piece.
- It is nicely accompanied with a dollop of coconut yogurt, coconut ice cream, or other favorite cream/ice cream.
- Try adding 1 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts into the cake.
- Experiment with adding 1 tablespoon of organic instant coffee grounds into the sticky sauce, or 2 tablespoons of Kahlua/Frangelico.
- This is a far healthier version of sticky date pudding than most recipes will call for. There is minimized sugar, improved types of sweeteners, added fiber, and many of the common foods people have problems with have been omitted (such as gluten, dairy, nuts, and eggs, by choice). That being said, it is still recommended that this is only served as a special treat.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!