Sunflower Seed Herb Pesto (Recipe)
Fresh, lovely and easy to make - really, it takes no time to make a batch. I used about 1/4 cup in a pasta salad, stirred a few teaspoons or so into veganise for a spread on my falafel burger, it makes an awesome base for your next pizza - super versatile & tasty, I never tire of this pesto.
If you are a garlic wimp you may want to scale back to a smaller clove of garlic. I absolutely adore garlic so a large clove went in (about 2 small cloves worth).
Makes 1/2 cup
- 2 cups mixed herbs ( winter savory, chives, oregano, tarragon, thyme)
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked or roasted if preferred)
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled (2 small)
- 1/3 cup good olive oil + 1 -2 tsp to cover the top when jarred
- Pinch of salt
- Place herbs through garlic in a food processor and pulse a few times until blended well. Slowly add the 1/3 cup of olive oil while food processor is running. Blend until creamy and pesto comes together, add a pinch of salt and pulse a few times.
- Transfer to an airtight container, push pesto down to get rid of any air pockets (the air will turn the pesto brown). Prior to covering , add 1-2 tsp's of additional olive oil to cover the top of the pesto.
- Store in the fridge and use within 3 weeks.
Hungry for more recipes just like this one? Discover the best recipes fresh from the Food Matters Kitchen .