Sweet Potato Hash Browns With Baked Beans
about 16 small hash browns
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
DIETARY INFO: Dairy-free, gluten-free option (use gluten-free flour), nut-free, vegetarian
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 5 large truss tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 40 g (1½ oz/ ¼ cup) sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 small handful fresh basil leaves
- 750 g (1 lb 10 oz/ 3 cups) cooked cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- To make the baked beans: Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium–low heat. Add the onion, garlic, fennel and cumin seeds, and sauté for about 5 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, dates and vinegar, if you like.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning and adding the basil 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Use a hand-held blender or food processor to carefully purée the sauce (it will be hot), then empty into a large ceramic ovenproof dish with the beans and give everything a good stir. Pop into the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 650 g/ 1 lb 7 oz), peeled
- 10 spring onions (scallions), green part only, finely sliced
- 50 g (1 3/4 oz/ 1/3 cup) wholemeal (whole-grain) spelt flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Olive oil for frying
- To make the hash browns: Grate the sweet potato using a grater or a food processor with a grating disc. Put in a medium bowl with the spring onion, flour and eggs. Stir to combine.
- Allowing 1 tsp olive oil per hash brown, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Make a patty with a heaped tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture, carefully drop into the pan and flatten with a spatula into a hash brown shape.
- Fry for 2–4 minutes until golden brown, then flip over and repeat on the other side.
For little ones: Mash the beans on top of the hash browns, and cut into fingers for easier gripping.
Kickstart your journey back to health with 21-days of gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar-free recipes. Explore the Food Matters Clean Eating Program today.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!