The Best Ever Vegan Mac & Cheese
(use organic ingredients, where possible)
- 1 head of cauliflower (about 1 lb)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large shallot
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups whole grain, healthy noodles of your choice
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Chop cauliflower florets into equal-sized pieces, then coat and massage the florets with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a healthy pinch of sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until very lightly golden brown and evenly roasted.sauce
- Soak the raw cashews in hot water for 15 minutes. Strain and rinse well. If you prefer, you can soak them overnight before draining and & rinsing instead of using hot water.
- Sauté the shallots and garlic in olive oil with a pinch of salt over medium-low heat until translucent and soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Cook your noodles in salted water, according to package instructions. Strain and set aside.
- To make the cashew cream as your sauce base, add soaked cashews and 3/4 cup water to a high-speed blender. (Start your blender on low, then work your way up to high, using the plunger to push the sauce into the blades)
- Add a pinch of salt, a pinch of black pepper, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, roasted cauliflower and sautéed shallots & garlic.
Put it all together
- Add cooked pasta to a large mixing bowl and pour sauce directly out of the blender onto the noodles.
- Gently stir until all the noodles are completely coated in sauce. Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator up to three days.
*For a baked Mac 'N Cheese: spray individual ramekins with grapeseed oil, spoon in the mac and cheese, then top with panko bread crumbs and a drizzle of olive oil. Broil for about 3-4 minutes, and watch closely so it won't burn.
*Extra sauce freezes well. Store in an airtight, glass container for up to 3 months.
*Use a plunger that came with your blender so that you won't hit the blades.