Vegetarian Mushroom Pho
ul food doesn't have to be heavy, complicated, or meat-laden. Enjoy this beautiful pho rich in flavor but light on your digestion. It's a wonderful alternative to traditional comfort foods.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 green onion, diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (approx. 2-inch knob of ginger)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 star anise
- 1 tsp cloves
- 8 cups vegetable broth (note about buying an organic version, or homemade)
- Mixed mushrooms ( enoki, swiss brown, button, shiitake)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- Brown rice noodles
- handful of bean sprouts
- handful of fresh basil
- handful of fresh mint
- handful of cilantro
- Bok choy
- juice of 1 lime
- In a large pot, add ½ tbsp sesame oil and sauté green onions, ginger, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a full boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the broth is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat add ½ tbsp sesame oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened. Stir in the hoisin and coat the mushrooms well.
- While the broth is cooking and mushrooms being sautéd, cook the brown rice noodles as per the packet.
- Divide the rice noodles between four large bowls, then fill each bowl with the vegetable broth. To each bowl, add a few bokchoy leaves, bean sprouts, mushroom mix, fresh basil, fresh cilantro, fresh mint and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and an extra dash of hoisin if desired.
What's Your Favorite 'Soul' Food?
Discover how to lose excess fat from your belly, face & thighs in less than 7 days with this simple ancient practice. Watch the Detox Masterclass here. Playing for a limited time!