Don't be fooled by the name - the character of this thick, wholesome soup is more North-African than Italian. It has a lot in common with the European version though, with the farro semiperlato playing a similar role in the vermicelli noodles found in many recipes.
- Serves 4
- 7oz/200grams farro semiperlato (or pearled spelt)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- pinch of crushed dried chilli flakes
- 14oz/400 grams can tomatoes
- 1/2-1 quart (800ml) - 1 litre vegetable stock
- 14oz/400 grams can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or soak and cook from dried)
- 1 bunch kale, shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated vegetarian parmesan to serve (omit if dairy free)
- Rinse the farro in a sieve under cold running water tip into a bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 20 minutes while you prepare the soup base.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- add the chopped veggies and cook over a low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until tender but not coloured. Add the crushed garlic and chilli flakes and cook for a further minute.
- Pour the tomatoes into the pan, add the stock and bring to boil. Drain the farro and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook the soup for 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the farro is cooked.
- Add the cannellini beans and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. You may need to add extra stock if the soup is too thick.
- Add the kale and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Season the taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve in bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and a scattering of grated parmesan.
For a gluten-free version of this heartwarming soup, replace the farro with quinoa or omit altogether.
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!