We are lovers of carrot cake! There's is just something about the combination of carrot, spices and crunchy walnuts. Inspired by this dessert, we have created a hearty, spiced carrot cake oatmeal!
Packing a nutritional punch, this oatmeal recipes tastes amazing with hidden veggies for the kids! It will keep your body fuelled for the morning.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (or ½ tsp ground ginger)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk or water
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut halves
- 1 cup extra coconut milk to serve
- To serve: extra coconut milk, chopped walnuts, shredded coconut and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Over medium heat, warm the coconut oil in medium-large pot. Add the grated carrot, maple syrup, spices, and a pinch of salt, and sauté until the carrots begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded coconut, raisins, and oats and stir a few times. Add the coconut milk or water, raise the heat, and bring the mixture to boil. Immediately lower the heat and simmer the oats until all of the water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often until the oatmeal is the desired consistency.
- To serve, top with extra coconut milk (depending on how you like your oats), a sprinkle of shredded coconut nut and walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup.