While fish tacos are traditionally served with corn tortillas, sometimes store-bought tortillas can leave you feeling super heavy and bloated post meal. In a quest to healthify one of our favorite Mexican meals in Food Matters HQ, we recreated zingy fish tacos with gluten-free tortillas. It was so fresh, healthy and we all felt great after eating these. Sure there are a few steps, but it is well worth it and the beauty of this recipe is you can pick and choose ingredients that you wish to include in your Mexican feast!
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chili
- 1tsp ground paprika
- pinch of sea salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 pound white fish (about 500g)- We used local cod
- 4-5 tbsp coconut oil for pan frying
- 2 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chili
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 thinly sliced cabbage
- juice of 1/2 lime
- handful of fresh cilantro (coriander)
- diced avocado
WHAT DO TO
- Dice fish into roughly 2 inch pieces, place in a glass bowl to marinate with lime juice, cumin, paprika, sea salt & chili for 2 hours (or overnight).
- Prepare your cabbage salad in a bowl, this can be prepared ahead of time or just before cooking tortilla's.
- Mix together all of your tortilla ingredients, and combine well by mixing with a whisk.
- Heat a tiny amount of coconut oil in small fry pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan, gently moving around to form a round tortilla. Cook on one side for 1-2 minutes and gently flip and cook other side 1-2 minutes or until golden.
- Continue this same process until you have no more tortilla mixture. Makes about 6-8 tortillas. Tortillas can be prepared ahead of time and warmed in the oven.
- Once your fish has finished marinating, remove from the fridge and set up 1 bowl with the whisk egg and another bowl with coconut flour and shredded coconut.
- Dip each piece of fish into the egg followed by the flour mixture.
- Melt coconut oil in fry pan over medium-high heat and gently pan fry pieces of fish in small batches cooking for 2 minutes on one side, flipping and finishing other side for 1-2 minutes. This will depend on how thick your pieces of fish are.
- Serve up your Mexican feast and let everyone put together their fish tacos!