Ginger Miso Soup
Miso is a fermented food that is often overlooked. It has a strong, salty taste that isn’t for everyone and being a soy-based product, do ensure you purchase an organic brand. Once you know how to use miso, it is very versatile and can even replace the use of stock powder in many recipes.
- 1 tbsp white miso paste (this is milder than dark miso)
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger OR ½ tsp dried ginger
- ½ clove garlic (grated) OR pinch of dried garlic
- ½ sheet dried nori, cut into thin strips
- Small handful of dried organic shiitake mushrooms
- Bring a kettle of filtered water to the boil.
Place miso, ginger and garlic in a large ‘soup’ mug. Fill the mug halfway with hot water and stir the mixture until the miso has dissolved.
- Add nori and mushrooms into the brew and top with hot water until the mug is completely filled.
- Allow to steep for 10 minutes so that the mushrooms can soften. Then enjoy!