Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes (Made With Cauliflower!)
We've done it again.
We've snuck vegetables into a classic sweet treat, and it happens to be one of our favorite vegetables that we love sneaking into all things sweet and savory.
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- ½ head of cauliflower
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Finely zest the peel both the orange and lemon.
- Halve and juice the lemon and orange, until you have 1/4 cup juice total, made up of about half of lemon, half of orange.
- Using a grater or food processor, grate or process the cauliflower until you have 1 cup.
- Add grated cauliflower in a bowl and add the 1/4 cup citrus juice and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, crack your eggs and gently whisk, then whisk in the coconut sugar and coconut sugar.
- Slowly mix through the flour, salt and baking soda, continue to whisk the mixture.
- Fold in the citrus-soaked cauliflower with its juice, and the lemon and orange zest, mix through evenly.
- Spread batter into cupcake liners, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cupcakes are done when golden brown on top and a toothpick should come out dry when inserted and removed. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
WHIPPED COCONUT LIME ICING (AS PICTURED BELOW)
- 1 small can of coconut cream (place in fridge overnight)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp Food Matters Superfood Greens Powder (for natural color)
- Place your coconut cream in the fridge overnight. This step is important for creating a whipped coconut cream, so the cream can separate from any natural liquid.
- Open coconut cream and separate the cream from the liquid, you only need the solid cream for this but save the liquid for smoothies, yogurt or anything else.
- Using an electric hand mixer begin whipping the coconut cream, squeeze in lime juice and add powdered greens (if using) and keep whipping until combined well but still solid. You don't want to overwhip it and lose the thick texture.
- Cover your cupcakes and enjoy!