Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce
The Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce is a household favorite—it’s nutrient-packed, incredibly versatile, and more delicious than versions from the grocer!
Yield: 8 cups
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 bottle (700 grams, 24 ounces, 3 cups) organic passata sauce
- 2 cups Restorative Vegetable or Bone Broth (recipe here)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
- Add the oil, onion, and garlic in a large pot over medium heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the celery, zucchini, bell pepper, carrots, and spinach and cook for around 15 minutes, continually stirring until the vegetables soften.
- Add the oregano, thyme, basil, and paprika and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the passata, vegetable broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow the sauce to slightly cool, then add the fresh basil leaves and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Allow the sauce to fully cool. Serve, refrigerate, or freeze in portion sizes.
FM Tip: This makes a lot of sauce. We love keeping some in the fridge to use throughout the week, then freezing the remaining sauce into portions to use for diff erent recipes. Freeze in the freezer-safe containers or ice cube trays for quick use.