Homemade Baked Beans with Gluten-Free Bread
Baked beans. What comes to mind? A tinned version loaded with a bunch of additives that we just don’t need in our life. When you discover how easy it is to make your own, you will never go back to a tinned version.
Beans are like little powerhouses of nutrients! They are super versatile and packed with antioxidants, fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium and more, making them an awesome breakfast option.
They are also very cheap to buy, making them a great, nutritious option for anyone on a budget. Order them out at breakfast, though, and you might find yourself paying $20 for something that is super easy to make at home - with better quality ingredients and for a fraction of the price!
- 1 tbsp olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 small capsicum, roughly chopped
- 400 g canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp tamari
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Heat a little oil, ghee or butter in a large pot, and begin to sauté onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Add in capsicum and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and tinned tomatoes, stirring to combine well. Then stir through the mustard, tamari, vegetable stock and salt and pepper.
- Increase heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the mixture has reduced and thickened.
- Serve on Food Matters Breakfast bread .
Are you looking for the ultimate crash course in nutrition? Discover the free online masterclass and tune in today.