Homemade Baked Beans with Gluten-Free Bread
Baked beans. What comes to mind? A tinned version loaded with a bunch of additives that we just don’t need in our life. When you discover how easy it is to make your own, you will never go back to a tinned version.
Beans are like little powerhouses of nutrients! They are super versatile and packed with antioxidants, fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium and more, making them an awesome breakfast option.
They are also very cheap to buy, making them a great, nutritious option for anyone on a budget. Order them out at breakfast, though, and you might find yourself paying $20 for something that is super easy to make at home - with better quality ingredients and for a fraction of the price!
- 1 tbsp olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 small capsicum, roughly chopped
- 400 g canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp tamari
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Heat a little oil, ghee or butter in a large pot, and begin to sauté onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Add in capsicum and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and tinned tomatoes, stirring to combine well. Then stir through the mustard, tamari, vegetable stock and salt and pepper.
- Increase heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the mixture has reduced and thickened.
- Serve on Food Matters Breakfast bread .
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!