Homemade Falafels With Quinoa Tabbouleh & Tahini Sauce
Regular falafels claim to be healthy, but they're often deep-fried and loaded with fillers and gluten. Try this tasty, gluten-free, oven baked version instead. It's packed with flavor!
- 2 x cans organic chickpeas (rinsed)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- handful of parsley
- handful of cilantro
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chilli
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 punnet tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
This is from our FMTV Recipe Series, check out the recipe step-by-step here .
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Add the onion and garlic cloves to the food processor and pulse just until they are finely minced.
- Add the chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, salt, chili powder, turmeric, and cumin to the food processor and pulse until they are roughly blended but not pureed.
- Add just enough flour so that when you pulse the processor, the mixture begins to form a small ball and is not sticky. Start by adding ¼ cup of flour, and then the remaining ¼ cup. You can add more if the mixture is still too wet.
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate it for 1 hour.
- While the falafel mixture is chilling, prepare the tahini sauce by whisking together the yogurt, tahini and lemon juice. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the tabouli salad by mixing together the cooked quinoa, parsley, tomatoes, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the falafel mixture has chilled, use a small ice cream scoop or spoons to form the mixture into balls (roughly 3 Tablespoons per ball) and place onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
- Serve with a dollop of tahini sauce and a serve of quinoa tabouli or put together a falafel wrap.
Do You Love Falafel's? How Do You Love To Serve Them?
Take the stress out of cooking with 21-days of guided meal plans, shopping lists, and nutrition support. You’ll find all of this, and more, in our signature Clean Eating Program.