Homemade Falafels With Quinoa Tabbouleh & Tahini Sauce
Regular falafels claim to be healthy, but they're often deep-fried and loaded with fillers and gluten. Try this tasty, gluten-free, oven baked version instead. It's packed with flavor!
- 2 x cans organic chickpeas (rinsed)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- handful of parsley
- handful of cilantro
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chilli
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 punnet tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
This is from our FMTV Recipe Series, check out the recipe step-by-step here .
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Optional: Serve with organic pita pockets or make our g luten-free tortilla wraps to serve them with.
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Add the onion and garlic cloves to the food processor and pulse just until they are finely minced.
- Add the chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, salt, chili powder, turmeric, and cumin to the food processor and pulse until they are roughly blended but not pureed.
- Add just enough flour so that when you pulse the processor, the mixture begins to form a small ball and is not sticky. Start by adding ¼ cup of flour, and then the remaining ¼ cup. You can add more if the mixture is still too wet.
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate it for 1 hour.
- While the falafel mixture is chilling, prepare the tahini sauce by whisking together the yogurt, tahini and lemon juice. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the tabouli salad by mixing together the cooked quinoa, parsley, tomatoes, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the falafel mixture has chilled, use a small ice cream scoop or spoons to form the mixture into balls (roughly 3 Tablespoons per ball) and place onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
- Serve with a dollop of tahini sauce and a serve of quinoa tabouli or put together a falafel wrap.
Do You Love Falafel's? How Do You Love To Serve Them?
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!