Pasta has always been a fave of mine, though it often leaves us leaving heavy and bloated! There are many reasons for this, but for a quick fix we're swapping out the pasta and using zucchini noodles! The hearty flavors of the mushroom and lentil bolognese will have you so satisfied you won't even notice the missing pasta!
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ bunch of thyme leaves
- 4 portobello mushrooms, finely diced
- 100 g presoaked lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g (1 tin) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ⅓ bunch of fresh basil
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- Salt & pepper
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add oil and sauté carrot, onion, celery and garlic.
- Add bay leaves, put in the thyme leaves and cook, stirring until soft.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the lentils, tomato and stock.
- Season, reduce the heat to low, and pop a lid on. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Pick the basil leaves and sprinkle through the bolognese, stirring to mix in.
- Serve on freshly spiralized zucchini noodles.