Roast Pumpkin & Beetroot Quinoa Salad with Basil Pesto
You've heard all about the health benefits of beetroot , but how can you start to get more of it on your plate? This simple salad is a must for any season or reason, and it's the perfect way to boost the family's daily vegetable intake.
- ½ butternut pumpkin (squash)
- 2 beetroots
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt and pepper
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 x 4 oz (110g) can of sardines in olive oil (chickpeas and hemp seeds for vegans)
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the skin of the pumpkin (squash) and cut into large wedges. Cut the beetroot into wedges, but leave the skin on. Place the vegetables on the baking sheet, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and season with sea salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the pumpkin and beetroots are roasting, cook the quinoa. In a pot, add ½ cup dry quinoa to 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, place a lid on the pot and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, mix through the pesto.
- Divide food into 2 portions. Add the quinoa to a bowl, lay the pumpkin (squash) and beetroot on top, and serve with sardines. Store the other portion in an airtight container in the refrigerator for lunch tomorrow.
Discover how to lose excess fat from your belly, face & thighs in less than 7 days with this simple ancient practice. Watch the Detox Masterclass here. Playing for a limited time!