Roasted Cauliflower, Mushroom & Wild Rice Salad
A hearty salad packed with roasted cauliflower, mushrooms and filing wild rice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ cups wild rice blend
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 cups mushrooms
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly-grated parmesan (or nutritional yeast)
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Add the vegetable stock (or stock + wine combo), and cook the rice according to package instructions. (Different varieties of rice will take more/less time to cook.)
- Once the rice is cooked and tender, drain off any extra stock. Stir in the lemon juice until completely combined. Taste, and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, turn the cauliflower and mushrooms onto a large baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and toss until everything is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the mushrooms and cauliflower are tender and lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Once everything is ready to go, combine the rice and cauliflower/mushroom mixture in a serving dish. Sprinkle evenly with the cranberries, parsley, Parmesan (if using), and pine nuts. Feel free to also crack some extra black pepper on top, if desired. Serve warm.
Never miss a moment in nutrition news with Food Matters’ latest articles.