Spiced Fruit Bake With Homemade Vanilla Custard
Christmas food just got even better with this aromatic holiday treat! This delicious, gluten-free fruit bake served with homemade custard is bound to impress your guests at the Christmas table.
- 2 cups sliced apples
- 2 cups green pear slices
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 pineapple, diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- In a large bowl, toss your fruit and drizzle with lemon juice, coat well.
- Add coconut sugar, spices and coconut oil. Coat well.
- Pour fruit evenly in a 9x12" baking dish.
- Pour the leftover juices on top.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and toss through your nuts.
- Place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with our homemade vanilla custard.
- 2 cups milk (almond or coconut)
- 2 whole, free range, organic eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup or Rapadura sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Heat milk in a saucepan with vanilla and maple syrup or Rapadura sugar and bring to almost boiling point, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs and cornflour in a mixing bowl until combined.
- Pour the hot milk over the eggs and whisk in well.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
- Remove from the heat quickly and pour back into the mixing bowl.
- Whisk well to cool a little and smooth it out. If you see any lumps then strain through a sieve.