Spinach, Sweet Potato & Lentil Dahl
It's the time of year where our bodies are craving nothing more than curling up by the fire with a bowl of soul-warming food that's going to nourish us from the inside out. This dahl is a Food Matters winter classic, packed with fresh, seasonal vegetables and spices to support digestion and immunity, alongside the healthy fats of coconut cream that give you brighter energy, for longer. The best part about this dish is it comes together in half an hour and you can easily double the batch to last a week! This is going to be your new cold-weather staple, I promise.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow (brown) onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ long red chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garam marsala
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 x 14 fl oz (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into small even chunks
- ½ cup red split lentils, soaked overnight
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ x 14 fl oz (400mL) can coconut cream
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ bunch cilantro (coriander) leaves
- Coconut yogurt
- Heat the olive oil in a large, wide-base pot or pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sautéuntil it begins to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili, continuing to sauté for another minute. Then add turmeric, cumin, and garam marsala. Lightly sauté for 2 - 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, sweet potato, lentils, stock, and coconut cream. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked. Stir through baby spinach leaves right at the end.
- Serve topped with cilantro leaves and a dollop of coconut yogurt.
Searching for more comfort recipes that are good for the mind, body, and soul? We've designed our Clean Eating Program to fit around whatever season you're in, and supports all your dietary needs along the way. Check it out today!
If you haven’t already, join our free global challenge at www.GetOffTheGluten.com to receive daily recipes & health tips, access to our private group for support and inspiration, plus before and after testing to track your progress in key areas of your life such as weight, sleep, bloating, skin-conditions, mental health and more!