Granola is commonly thought of as a healthy and safe breakfast option, however most store-bought versions contain the equivalent sugar levels of a chocolate cake for dessert!
The good news is that you don’t have to give up your favorite breakfast option - you can create your own version at home. It will taste better, have a lot less sugar, offer you more health benefits, takes no time at all, and makes your house smell AMAZING while it bakes.
Get creative and add any of your favorite, wholesome ingredients into the mix.
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup mixed seeds (pepitas, sunflower)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp nut butter
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra options: dried fruit, chai spices, nuts, seeds, cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 320℉ (160℃). In a large bowl mix together the almonds, coconut, seeds, coconut oil, honey, nut butter, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well to coat everything evenly.
- Tip the granola onto baking sheets and spread evenly. Bake for 15 minutes, remove and stir granola, return to bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- Serve with coconut or almond milk, or some fresh yogurt. The granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month.